Sunday, March 24, 2013

Update an Old Shelf

When you are presented with a DIY challenge you take it. You start thinking about what you are going to do, how you are going to make it a masterpiece.

Then there are some challenges you should just not even think about. 

Stain wood shelf

I was asked by a friend if I could do something with her shelf. At first glance, I said, "Sure, throw it away".
I mean really...you would have said the same thing.


It was old, outdated and just plain ugly. But, she loved her shelf and it was the perfect size in her bathroom next to her sink. So what the heck. I wanted to see what I could do. 

Wood shelf


First thing I did was pull the tarnished, faded gold brassy bar off. I could have puttied the holes, sanded and refinished it. But, instead I decided to paint the bar with Rust-oleum's Metallic Satin Nickel

Rustoleum Spray Paint

Then I lightly sanded the shelf and stained it with Minwax PolyShades Bombay Mahogany.

Bombay Mahogany

I really like how it darkened the natural wood grain and it seemed to have brought the shelf to life. 
Or, I got it at least out of the 80's. LOL

After a couple coats and putting the freshly painted rail back on I kept thinking the shelf needed something. So I had a small spring curtain rod that I sprayed with the Satin Nickel spray paint and glued it to the wood brackets.

And, here you have it an updated shelf with a towel rod. 

Wall shelf

It now has a multi-purpose use in her bathroom. 



A little stain and paint can go a long way to a new look on an old shelf. 

Don't you think?

Most Recent GGP posts:




Don't forget Google reader is shutting down so follow
 me on bloglovin' so you don't miss something good!

Follow on Bloglovin


Design your life with a little SPARKLE!


21 comments:

  1. Congrats on your feature on Sits girls! I just signed up and saw you were featured!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stopping by from SITS. What a great idea it was to add the rod under the shelf!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Rustoleum Metallic is wonderful stuff! I recently used it to update the door knobs in my laundry room! http://www.thepinjunkie.com/2013/03/upadated-hardware.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. Muuuuuch better! Great job! Thanks so much for linking this up to Monday Funday!

    Kelly @ View Along the Way
    www.viewalongtheway.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is so clever!!! And the shelf is beautiful. I adore your projects! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love small redo projects. They don't take a lot of time and the results are fantastic. Susan @ throughmyporchwindow.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello. Found you on one of the hops. I am now following you via GFC. Would love for you to stop by and say hi.
    Leslie
    www.thememorynest.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Much better! It's a keeper now! :) Sharon

    ReplyDelete
  9. That looks so much better girl!!! Great work!!! I love Polyshades.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Throw it away! lol Well, you managed to make it look good again...or finally ;) Love little projects like these.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great post and it gave me some ideas about things to fix and shine up in my bathroom. thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks so much for sharing at Project Inspired @ Setting for Four. I pinned your lovely shelf redo to our group linky pinboard!
    I hope you are having a fantastic Easter, and can join me Monday evening 8 pm EST for Project Inspired #8! :D

    ReplyDelete
  13. It looks so much better, and I love how you added the 'towel rod'! Great job! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Truly, Denyse! Stain and paint can do wonders - marvelous transformation I do appreciate you sharing with Home and Garden Thursday,
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  15. Fabulous job...thanks for sharing...hugs...featuring today : )

    ReplyDelete

I read and appreciate every comment... I will ALWAYS answer questions and do my best to reply to every comment...but make sure your email is enabled on your profile (without your e-mail I can't "Thank-You" for your kind words...Thanks for visiting :-)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

You can also find me at Hometalk by clicking here.
Follow on Bloglovin





Crazy Deals

Dresses from Shabby Apple

Designed By:

Munchkin Land Designs
Elements by Silvia Romeo

Site Tracker

PageRank Checker Follow on Bloglovin
Lijit Search Rivit Media PublisherConnect With Advertisers - Sign up for SocialSpark! google-site-verification: googleb78de21e77c286e8.html
 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2012 • All Rights Reserved